Saturday, September 1, 2012

Starting Again

Today I have purposed to go for my goal again - prepare to compete in a beauty pageant. 

Why?  I'm 37 years old and endured hair loss since my early twenties.  I felt like I wasn't beautiful.  Now I want to stop believing in that lie and believe in my own beauty instead.  Preparing to compete in a beauty pageant gives me a goal to not only lose weight but to consistently beautify myself - show myself that I matter through my actions, namely caring for the body that God has given me.  I also want to cultivate a spirit of beauty inside so God's light can shine through me. 

So here goes:  September 1, 2012 to September 1, 2013. 

Vital Stats:
Height:  5'8" (I'm actually between 5'7-1/2" & 5'8" so I rounded up)
Weight: 196.2 lbs
Goal weight:  128lbs
Weight loss goal:  68lbs
Waist measurement: 41 in (at belly button, sucking in my stomach)
Bust measurement: 41 in (wearing a sports bra)
Arm measurement: 11.5 in.
Thigh circumference:  25 in.
Hip measurement: 45 in.

I'm psyched!  Each day I want to note something that I'm doing of improvement toward my goal. 

Today I woke up at 5am and prayed for strength from God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit to see my 1-year plan to fruition.  Then I went to dragon boating practice (intense spurts of paddling) & then a leisurely hour at the pool.  I also applied Gold Bond's Ultimate Healing Lotion with Aloe to my legs and elbows after my shower. 

For this 1-year "Julie/Julia Project," I will do the following: 
No wheat, no sugar, no dairy. 
Eat a low-glycemic diet. 
No coffee (unless for an emergency) or red wine (to maximize my future teeth whitening)

Here is what I found from a simple Google search for "beauty pageants for older women": 

United America Pageant in Austin, Texas with divisions for


Ms. United America – 26 & up (single, divorced, widow)
Mrs. United America – 21 & up

Ms. Classic United America – 44 & up (single, divorced, married, widow)

United America Lady – 55 & up (single, divorced, married, widow)

United America Woman – 26 & up (single, divorced, married, widow & size 14 and up)

U.S. United Pageant in Atlanta, Georgia

Elegant Ms. U.S. United, ages 18 - 35, dress size 16 and above

Elegant Elite Ms. U.S. United, age 36 and older, dress size 16 and above

Mrs. U.S. United, Age 21 and older, must be married and living with husband

Elite Ms. U.S. United Woman, Age 46 and older

No comments: